Monday, August 21, 2017

Fingerprint of God

Ben has been planning for this eclipse for several years.

He wasn't responsible for the clear skies, but otherwise all his efforts paid off today.

My family was engrossed.

Everyone knew something special was happening.

All of us were careful to use our glasses.

Lily joined us today.

So did Grace.

I loved being able to share this experience with Erik's family.

I wanted to enjoy the moment, but I also wanted my camera to focus.  Ben helped me with a solar lens.

Jeff had his own version of hi-tech to watch the eclipse.

I realized the blue image on the lower right was a reverse image picked up by my camera.

Dave helped Papa, who was taking movies.

This was Corinne's second eclipse.  Her first was in Novosibirsk in 2008 with Ben.

At this point, the people around me were excited.  It was happening!  I removed the solar lens and then realized I was focused on my camera, not on the eclipse.  The blue crescent is another reverse image of what I was seeing through my glasses.

I took off my solar glasses but still tried to get my camera to focus. I was successful without realizing it.  I didn't learn until later that this was the first diamond ring as the eclipse approached totality.

At the moment, I can't think of anything more breathtaking than a total solar eclipse of the sun.

What my eyes saw was different than what my camera could see, but both views were stunning.

At this point we were all screaming.  Erik whispered to me that we were seeing the fingerprint of God.  I agreed.

I cried.

And then, in one massive heartbeat, it was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment